Shopping for carpet is a lot like shopping for a car. It involves a financial investment and all the different types of carpet, styles, colors and brands can make your head spin with excitement.
Flooring is one of the largest investments you’ll make in your home. By doing some basic homework, comparison shopping, and working with a reputable retailer, choosing the best carpet will be easier.
Choosing Best Carpet For Your Home in Omaha, Lincoln & Sioux Falls
With so many different colors, materials and designs available, it can be difficult to choose the best carpet for your home. Some materials may require frequent cleanings that simply won’t fit into your busy schedule, others come with a higher price tag. Carpet Land carries thousands of in-stock rolls in a variety of styles. The question is, which is right for you? Allow the sales team at Carpet Land to help answer your questions and show you which styles will work best in your setting.
When shopping, think function first. Ask yourself a few questions when choosing your carpeting type:
- What is this room used for?
- How much traffic does it get?
- Does the room receive a lot of sunlight?
- Does the light change during the day?
- Is it next to indoor or outdoor spaces?
- How often am I likely to vacuum it?
Answers to these questions will help you begin to determine the best fiber for your carpet as well as texture, construction, and even color.
Pick the Perfect Padding
Just as a building needs a solid foundation, carpeting relies on a layer of padding for support, strength and a bit of extra cushioning. You can’t see the padding, but you’ll definitely feel the extra wear and tear on your new carpet if you pick an inadequate padding material. Protect your sub-floor by selecting a carpet pad with a moisture barrier, or enhance the softness of your carpet with memory-foam padding. Your feet can tell the difference!
One of the reasons so many people choose hard flooring is that it tends to be more durable and easier to clean than carpet. While that’s true in most cases, some fibers are more robust and low-maintenance than others.
Shaw’s carpet fibers are made with R2X stain and soil resistance – taking the worry out before spills seep in. Liquid spills or accidents don’t get trapped underneath – protecting your floor from the unseen messes.
Types of carpet: Choose carpet fiber that best fits your needs
- Nylon outperforms all other fibers in durability, resilience and easy maintenance. This is a good choice if you want your carpet to last a decade or longer, for high-traffic areas, and in homes with kids and pets.
- Polyester (also called PET) is stain resistant, very soft and luxurious underfoot, and is available in deep and vibrant colors. However, it’s harder to clean, tends to shed and isn’t as durable as nylon. It’s best used in low-traffic areas (like bedrooms) and in households without kids or pets.
- Triexta (brands include Smart-Strand and Sorona) is a newly classified fiber derived partly from corn sugar. It has excellent, permanent anti-stain properties. It also has good resilience, but it’s too soon to tell whether it will match the durability of nylon in high-traffic areas. Because of its superior stain resistance, this is a good choice if you have young kids or pets.
- Olefin (polypropylene) is an attractive, inexpensive fiber that’s strong and resists fading, but it’s not as resilient as nylon. It’s most often made into a looped Berber with a nubby weave that conceals dirt. It has good stain, static and mildew resistance. Olefin carpeting is often selected for high-traffic “clean” areas such as family rooms and play areas.
Select Your Carpet Provider with Care
You can purchase carpet in a variety of places, but your best bet is to select a reputable establishment that specializes in carpeting. Carpet Land has the largest selection of in-stock carpet inventory in a 10-state region, expanding from Nebraska. You will find high quality, low priced products in the store every day. Carpet Land’s incredible buying power helps deliver the lowest prices in Nebraska. Free estimates, 0% financing options, and professional installation are available every day.
Compare Color and Patterns
With so many colors and designs available, selecting the right finish just might be on of the most exciting parts of your carpet-buying experience. Narrow your search by choosing shades that match the overall mood or tone you want to set for each room. Focus on selecting a color that complements the existing furnishings and consider the amount of natural light that regularly brightens the different colors in your room. Carpet Land will help you narrow your selection from a wide range of accent colors, solid colors, tonal looks, or patterned carpet. Your new carpet will be designed just for you.
Carpeting vs. Area Rugs
It’s possible you’d be better served with an area rug and not wall-to-wall carpeting. How do you know? Consider the two. Carpeting’s main advantages are that it’s soft and warm underfoot, muffles sound and provides cushioning if you fall. It’s also affordable.
Area rugs are a popular flooring choice because they come in a larger variety of colors and designs, can be switched among rooms and are quite affordable. It’s also easier to make a statement with a fun or colorful area rug than it is with wall-to-wall carpeting, and you can take your rug with you every time you move. Choose from Carpet Land’s wide selection of area rugs, or design your own custom-sized area rug out of any style and color of carpet available in the store!
Carpet Land Omaha, Lincoln & Sioux Falls | Best Prices on Carpets, Flooring & More
We make shopping for flooring easy! Take advantage of our FREE estimates and consultations today. Our incredible buying power at Carpet Land allows us to deliver the lowest flooring product prices in town, so shift your focus to finding the perfect flooring for your home. We look forward to working with you. Contact us for your FREE Estimate TODAY.
You can also click here for our Flooring Buying Guide.