Laminate Flooring Care and Maintenance
When it comes to taking care of your new laminate flooring, it’s important to first understand the makeup of your laminate. Some of today’s newer laminate flooring includes waterproof finishes, but many do not, so your care and maintenance routine must comply with the manufacturer’s guidelines. For example, Shaw laminate flooring includes wood, so you should never use excessive moisture or a non-approved cleaning product while caring for their laminate flooring.
At Carpet Land, we recommend the following Laminate Flooring Care and Maintenance routine for your new laminate floors:
- Daily care and maintenance of your laminate flooring could include sweeping, dry mopping the floor, or vacuuming with a hard surface flooring attachment.
- Most common household messes like spills and soil should wipe or sweep away clean.
- Blot and dry any liquid spills as quickly as possible to avoid warping.
For preventative maintenance
- Place doormats at the entry to the room to capture any dirt, sand or grime that could scratch the surface.
- Protect your flooring from dents or marks by placing heavy appliances on mats, and use wide dollies whenever you need to move furniture across the floor.
- Add an area rug or two for stylish protection of your laminate flooring that also increases your flooring’s longevity.
When it comes to difficult stains and messes like candle wax and chewing gum, or oil based stains like lipstick and olive oil, consult with the manufacturer’s guidelines for cleaning tough stains and messes. Many of these tougher stains have simple solutions like using nail polish remover or freezing with ice before gently scraping away with a plastic scraper. For specific guidelines, visit Shaw’s laminate flooring cleaning suggestions or ask any of Carpet Land’s representatives.
When you want to give your laminate flooring a deeper clean, use a manufacturer approved hard surface cleaner like the Shaw R2X Hardsurface Floor Cleaner. Ask one of our flooring associates which cleaner is best for your floor.
Below is a list of additional care and maintenance tips plus stain removal resources to help keep your waterproof laminate flooring looking beautiful: